Man Dies After Pea Trapped In Lung Diagnosed As Cancer

An English family grieving over a man’s death has lashed out at doctors after they confused a pea in his lung for a cancerous tumour.

William Lintern, 85, of Birmingham, died of a chest infection on February 6 after developing severe pneumonia.

The great grandfather had been admitted to hospital mid-January after suffering shortness of breath.

He was diagnosed with a “sizeable, aggressive tumour” only to be told in early February that the blockage in his lung was actually a pea which had gone down the wrong way.

Doctors removed the pea but Mr Lintern already developed pneumonia and he died the following day.

His son, Roger Lintern, 56, said his father was devastated at the cancer diagnosis and “lost the will to live.”

“His body started to pack up and he was convinced he wouldn’t survive,” he said.

Wife Molly, 79, said her husband was “scared rigid and basically worried himself to death.”

The family is now considering legal action against Heartlands Hospital, where Mr Lintern was treated.

But the hospital’s medical director Dr Aresh Anwar said: “If there is a case where we have not delivered the best care possible, we will always investigate into why and how we can do things better.”

only on Msmedia

Advertisements
This entry was posted in news. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s